Some say doors should open up to the room, not down, because they are a shield. But the glass cabinet doors that you can find in the market these days provide its users with many advantages and just as many disadvantages. If you want to know more about this type of door, then continue reading this article.
What are glass cabinet doors?
Glass cabinet doors are doors with transparent glass panels. They are a type of cabinet door and can be installed on the main section of the cabinet or just one of its sides. You can find them in sizes ranging from 66cmx47cm up to 92cmx56cm and they come in different designs.
How do they work?
They are made out of two pieces with the inside part being a panel and the outside one taking on the appearance of a regular door. The inner part is actually mounted on a hinge, which allows you to open it in order to reach the compartments located inside your furniture piece. Then, you can shut it to keep your things protected and maintain a clutter-free appearance.
The advantages of installing glass closet doors include the following:
- One of the most difficult things to do, installing glass doors is easy;
- Security is a critical aspect in keeping children safe when they are around the house or outside;
- There are many designs to choose from that can be tailored to fit any style or home decor;
- Durability makes this an excellent option for kitchens and bathrooms where spills and splashes are likely.
The disadvantages include:
- There have been many instances where this type of door has broken in accidents involving children and getting them out is more complicated than it should be because the glass breaks so easily;
- The installation process can be difficult and time consuming especially if one is not familiar with this type of door;
- When one has a door that opens up to the outside, this can make it easy for children to access items that are not supposed to be in the child’s reach;
- Because the glass is so thin, this makes it hard for the doors to keep out noise and sometimes bugs as well;
- The fact that it is a larger opening makes it possible that small hands can fit through.
Glass cabinet doors are becoming increasingly popular in the market due to their many advantages and disadvantages. There have been several cases where glass doors have broken because of children getting out of them. But, there are many great benefits that come with such a door including comfort, security and safety.
The installation process is also difficult so it is recommended to get help from a professional before attempting the installation on your own. The glass’s thinness makes it hard to keep out noise, bugs and small hands. Glass cabinet doors can make it easier for children to access items that they are not supposed to be in their reach but if you’re willing to take that risk then this door may be for you!